Sunday, February 7, 2010

Shipboard Updates and 1 MORE DAY TIL JAPAN!

Hello all!

 

Hope everyone is doing well…I’ve definitely had an eventful past 10 days on the ship. I've had my fair share of ups and downs, but overall, I'm having a blast!

 

A few updates about life on the ship:

 

-         I had the flu/laryngitis for about 5 days. I’m recovering now…so hopefully I’ll be good by Japan!

-         My friend, Jenny, and I participated in the International Date Line Competition. We explained the IDL by singing to Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” and won 3rd PLACE! (which was prepared in 20 min! we are very proud ;) )

-         Lost my IPod Touch .. and all my Bollywood music! Yes, that was a huge bummer.

-         There was an earthquake in southern Japan, and thus the waves are HORRIBLE! People keep falling out of their chairs during class and the books in the library go flying off the shelves during the swells! (very funny sometimes!)

-         I’m leading an explorer seminar on BOLLYWOOD! (no surprise there) I’ll be showing Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham!

-         I’ll also  be helping in a student panel on India, talking about arranged marriages in India.

-         Made pretty good friends with a lot of the Indian crew/staff! They update me on Bollywood gossip, and I sharpen my Hindi while talking to them!

-         I’m taking some piano lessons from a great piano player on the ship .. he’s currently teaching me some great songs from my favorite musical – WICKED!

-         My friend, Chi-Chi, and I are the main anchors for LOST AT SEA-TV News. We have a 20 min broadcast prior to each port where we talk about world news, local port news, sports, celebrity gossip, good food in ports, and more! Our first broadcast will be aired today!

-     Best of all, I'm making some great friends on this trip! Allie, Alyssa, Chi-Chi, and Jenny - just to name a few! I'm so excited to see the world with these girls - it's going to be amazing!

 

 

So tomorrow we finally reach Japan! I will be staying the first day in Yokohama and then travel to Tokyo the following day. A few of my friends and I are planning on spending the night in Tokyo and then heading to Kyoto. After Kyoto, we will meet the ship in Kobe!

From what I’ve heard, public transportation in Japan is great! I’m excited for bullet trains, udon noodles, shopping in Tokyo, and so much more! It’s definitely going to be an adventure!

 

Can’t wait!

 

Hope everyone is doing well! Looks like they are broadcasting the Superbowl now.. So I guess I should go get a little connection with the outside world!

 

So long folks..

 

Love, Neha

 

P.S. How are my beloved Pistons doing?? Can anyone fill me in? I've used up all of my allotted internet minutes :(

 

2 comments:

  1. Neha,
    Great to read about your trip and this wonderful experience. Will look forward to more stories.
    I will miss you in Mauritius by a few days - I am supposed to be there in third week of march.
    Salil

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lady gaga thing made me so happy, it reminds me of happy times when we would be singing it together! miss you!

    ReplyDelete